Surprising Ways to Maintain Healthy Blood Sugar Levels Naturally
More than 29 million people in the United States have diabetes. Even more have high blood sugar levels or insulin resistance, both of which are precursors to type 2 diabetes. While there are many medications that can help diabetics, these are expensive and can often have serious side effects. Many people do not know that there are a variety of natural ways to maintain healthy blood sugar levels to protect against insulin resistance, decreasing the risk of developing diabetes and other concerns.
Diabetes and Metabolic Disorder: A Modern Epidemic
When we eat food, our body converts the carbs to glucose. This glucose is fuel for our cells, but only once it enters them. Glucose can only enter cells when insulin "unlocks" the cell receptors that allow it to enter. Without insulin, glucose remains in the blood vessels where it can contribute to cardiovascular disease. Meanwhile, the cells that make up our tissues and organs go without the food they need for optimal function.
There are two conditions in which glucose has impaired ability to enter the cells: type 1 and type 2 diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the body simply stops making insulin. This disease is treated by replacing the insulin that is missing. In type 2 diabetes, high blood sugar levels over time lead to insulin resistance, a condition in which cells stop responding to insulin even though the body is making plenty of it. This leads to type 2 diabetes where blood sugar is chronically high due to this insulin resistance. This can be very difficult to treat because the body already has plenty of insulin; it simply isn't responding to the hormone.
Diabetes, especially type 2 diabetes, has become so common that it is considered an epidemic. Millions of people struggle with chronically high blood glucose levels and the resulting health effects. Many more people are prediabetic, which means their body is beginning to show signs of insulin resistance but has not yet become completely diabetic.
Lifestyle Changes for Healthy Blood Sugar
While there appears to be a genetic predisposition to diabetes, it also is heavily affected by lifestyle. People who have a difficult time maintaining healthy blood sugar are at much higher risk of developing insulin resistance. Obesity and a lack of exercise also are major risk factors. There are several ways that people can lower their risk of developing this disease, lower their blood sugar and turn insulin resistance around:
- Achieve a healthy weight.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Eat fewer carbs and saturated fats.
- Choose foods that are high fiber or otherwise support a healthy digestive system.
- Avoid tobacco products.
- Get any sleeping issues treated, as these can contribute to insulin resistance.
- Take in a wide range of vitamins and minerals, including antioxidants.
However, even with these changes, many people struggle to keep their blood glucose levels within a healthy range. This is because lifestyle is only one piece of the puzzle. Lifestyle changes alone often cannot completely halt insulin resistance and reverse the cellular mechanisms underlying type 2 diabetes. For these people, there is still hope. There are many natural remedies that can give them the boost they need.
Natural Answers for Supporting Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
Several natural remedies can help to protect against insulin resistance and maintain healthy blood sugar levels within normal ranges. If you are concerned about your blood sugar levels, consider taking a supplement that contains:
- Chromium picolinate, a supplement that positively affects insulin resistance, promotes healthy insulin function and protects the cardiovascular system.
- Banaba leaf, which supports healthy blood glucose levels and is for diabetes by indigenous cultures.
- Gymnema, which has been found in studies to promote healthy blood sugar levels and lipid levels while supporting healthy pancreatic function.
- Bitter melon, a popular Asian gourd that contains compounds similar to insulin that similarly work to support healthy blood glucose levels.
- Vanadium, which keeps insulin receptors from being deactivated, thus helping with insulin resistance.
- Fenugreek, an Indian and Middle Eastern spice that naturally supports healthy blood sugar.
- Bilberry fruit, which contains compounds that help to balance blood sugar levels while preventing many of the effects of high blood sugar such as retinopathy and damage to blood vessels.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine, an antioxidant that reduces damage from free radicals in people with high blood sugar and/or diabetes.
These natural supplements not only help to protect against the development of blood sugar imbalances but also have a variety of other positive health effects. They help to support a healthy body in many ways, allowing people to support healthy blood sugar protect against insulin resistance without negative side effects.
The high sugar, high fat Standard American Diet often leads to a variety of negative effects including diabetes. However, there are many ways to protect against insulin resistance before it progresses enough to harm your health. Lifestyle changes and natural supplements can help you to enjoy good health—including healthy blood sugar levels—over the rest of your life.